If you want to attract an honorable lady, be an honorable man.

Sunday, February 17, 2013

The Hobbit: Review


Sorry it took me so long to get this one out - I have been busy .... as usual. 

This was my first official 3D movie I ever saw, with pretty high expectations of both the film and technical detail,  and oh-blimey I was not disappointed in either. 

But down to the basics. 
(and yes, while I am typing this I am listening to the soundtrack - (epicness in all directions) 

Bilbo Baggins the rather prosy and well-to-do Hobbit is swept off on a journey to help a gaggle of dwarves re-gain their homeland stolen my the Smaug the Dragon. Over hills and under hills, chased by wolves and carried by eagles, and almost becoming troll-fodder, Bilbo gets more than he ever bargained for, and changes far more than he ever thought he would - for the better. 

The thing I enjoyed most about this movie is the changing character of Bilbo. He starts very prissy, if I may use the word, the not-want-to-get-your-hands-dirty type personality, who is rather preoccupied with thoughts of home and ease, comfort, and his far-away Hobbit hole. Through the process of the journey, he learns courage, determination, and most importantly, compassion and self sacrifice. He helps the dwarves on their quest to take back their home, since, as he puts it, they have none. He has a home, and that is where he belongs. They don't have a home, or belong anywhere, and he will help them take it back if he can. 

The changing character of Bilbo, from not so noble and well-to-do, to compassion, nobility, and courage, is enjoyable, heartening, encouraging, enthralling  and of course, amusing.       

The main theme to the movie is summed up in one sentence, which I am sure you have heard before. 

"Even the smallest person can change the course of history"

Bilbo, seemingly insignificant, through a series of events, sets in action an even bigger series of events that will leave the world forever changed.

Simple acts of kindness and love (code-read Christlikeness) are what change the world  - not big powers and governments. 

This clip summarizes the entire movie perfectly. 

Pros.

The worldview is overall very refreshing and uplifting. On the surface it seems to be a story of revenge and recapturing of a homeland, but the real point is how even small people can make a huge difference. Love it, love it, love it.

Amazing visuals. I saw it in both 3D and 2D, and the quality of graphics was flooring in both. LOTR pales in the dust of antiquity under the splendor of this movie. Jackson left no stone un-turned in making this movie simply breathtaking.

The character development of Bilbo is quite enjoyable and most uplifting and encouraging. Love it totally.

The dwarves - oh who couldn't love the dwarves.
13 dwarves is a lot of individual characters to wrangle together, and I believe they did a fabulous job. Each has their own distinct personality, with their own quirks and oddities. The book made them to be rather stuffy, quiet and moody creatures, but the movie brings to life a people who are fun loving, rowdy, loyal, heroic, and valiant. I fell in love with the dwarves instantly.
 

From the right...
Bomber, Bofer, Bifer, Nori, Ori, Dori, Thorin, Balin, Dwalin, Oin, Gloin, Fili and Kili. 

As far as fighting goes, I have to say I like Thorin the best, but the character of Bofer stuck out to me the most. I really like his character, and you just have to see the movie to see what I mean. Thorin is next in the line of favorite dwarves, but I won't continue or else who knows where I will stop.  : )

. 

Cons:
If you are a die-hard fan of the book, you will probably be disappointed by this movie. They stick to the overall main theme, with a lot of the original details, but of course, same with LOTR, they take some liberties and change some things, re-route some things, and even add a few things. Honestly, I think some of the changes didn't really affect it, some actually made it better, and only a few were not as good as the original book. My Mom heartily disagrees, and doesn't like the changes. I don't think the changes detract from the overall effect of the film, and some even add to the effect, as I said, but if you are a die-hard originalist, you might be disappointed.    

The dwarves, like any other group of non-saved guys, can have some rather un-edifying moments. Like, the scene where the dwarves all guzzle ale and let out some window shattering belches one after another. *sigh*
There is only only slightly crude line, and it was only crude in a modern context, not as it was being used.


I could go on about it, but I will cut it short and end by saying I loved it, and go see the awesome film for yourself. The good in the movie far, far out-weighs the bad, and I look forward to seeing it over and over again, as well as looking forward most expectantly to the next two, and the threesomes extended versions.

Overall rating: 4.95 out of 5. The .05 out for the one crude line.  


3 comments:

  1. I want to see this SO bad!!! I love the LOTR trilogy, but haven't managed to see The Hobbit yet. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spot on!! I am even a die hard fan of the book...the add-ins were okay, not thrilled about their tinkering, but it CERTAINLY didn't take away from the movie. Will definitely own this one day!!

    I don't even remember the crude line...don't remind me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said, the line was only crude because it has a modern connotation. As it was, the character wasn't trying to be crude, or even witty at all.
      Hate it when Hollywood does that.....

      Delete

Tell me what you think!
I don't care if you disagree, hate me or love me! Just comment!