If you want to attract an honorable lady, be an honorable man.

Sunday, January 27, 2013

From the Smallest Beginnings...


Any avid Tolkien fans out there have already seen the Hobbit - twice if you are like me. It centers around a rather Prosy and well-to-do Hobbit who is swept off on an adventure that will change the future of the world that he lives in, and radically alter his character for the better. If you watched the trailer, a phrase is flashed across the screen amidst scenes of Goblins, Trolls, Dwarves and flying steel. It says

"From the smallest beginnings, come the greatest legends".

Cool trailer affect, gets the blood pumping, etc.

In the movie, the Wizard Gandalf is asked why he is taking the Hobbit, Bilbo, on the journey. He answers in a most profound way.

"Saruman thinks that it takes a great power to hold back evil. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small things in life that hold back great evil. Simple acts of kindness and love by ordinary people, are what keeps the darkness at bay. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I am afraid, and he gives me courage."    

Honestly, that was the ultimate best line in the whole entire movie, and summarizes the point of the movie perfectly.

That line, is so, so, so, true, and not just in middle earth.

Jesus Christ, the savior of the world, didn't come down with a flash and a bang and come riding on a golden chariot into Jerusalem, taking over the political system, blasting out the Romans and saving the world from the top down. He came in a animal feeder, with shepherds for company, wrapped in an old blanket. He lived quietly, humbly, and wasn't exactly an attention hog. Quietly, perfectly, lovingly, He made a difference, and saved the world from sin and death.

It didn't take a massive political movement, it didn't take a revolutionary rally, He just died for those he loved, and those who hated him.

And folks, that simple act of kindness is keeping the darkness at bay.

It's about the same for us today as well. The darkness is closing in, the world is collapsing spiritually and economically, and the hearts of men are far, far from God.

But a having a new president won't keep the darkness away, neither will a new congress, senate, or even a new governmental system.

It's the small things. Loving your neighbor - sharing the Gospel with the people in the store - repenting of your sin to your family - helping the lady across the street - or maybe even suffering quietly for the Gospels sake at work, and being a light in the darkness.

Simple acts of kindness and love - Christlikness.

You don't have to do anything big, bold, and fabulous to save the world. You just have to be a little light in your little corner of the world  - and every big bonfire is started by one tiny spark.

That folks, not politics, will keep the darkness at bay. 

4 comments:

  1. Yes, YES, *YES*!!!!! Two thumbs up! This is exactly what's been on my heart since Thursday night. It's revolutionizing my thinking right now. If I can just be the light in wherever God has placed me, that is my responsibility! I don't have to worry about all the other places in the world. Just mine. Where He put me. Amen!!

    Love the movie, BTW :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That line has officially hit the spot of my favorite quote. Period.
      Another good quote, was that God's greatest gifts, are the most common ones.

      Delete
    2. For sure! I don't remember the quote about God's greatest gifts.....proves I definitely need to see the movie again :D

      Delete
    3. Oh, sorry, that line wasn't in the movie. It was someplace else, somewhere I read, but it came around due to the topic of quotes. :) Maybe C.S. Lewis...?

      Delete

Tell me what you think!
I don't care if you disagree, hate me or love me! Just comment!